5/4/08

Baklava Fingers

I decided to make Baklava. I'd never made it before so this was my first attempt and it was delicious! It was easier and less fiddly than i expected. One thing i discovered was that the chewy element of Baklava is caused by dried figs... Well I Never... I used a recipe by Karen Martini which turned up in this month's Women's Weekly. I suppose it might be more expedient to use recipes from our own online walnut recipe database. What made it so much fun was that I had my gorgeous mother as Sous Chef and, ahem, Quality Control Manager. See if you can pick at what stage we cracked open a bottle of wine... I thought the fingers were excellent, but i might rename them Baklava Spring Rolls. Mum would have preferred a finer grind to the nut mix and more pastry. I would use much less lemon rind next time. Too much lemon rind contributed the misleading impression that I had made a health food. Mum said they were less lemony the next day. I still need to work on my ability to not-eat-everything-all-at-once. My beautiful sister turned up just as we pulled the fingers from the oven. By that time the wine was well and truly flowing as reflected by my photography of the final stages!
















4 comments:

Marie Louise said...

I absolutely love baklava - how brave of you to make it yourself. I usually hit a local bakery that makes it. Haven't had it in a while...will have to make the trip and get some soon!

BeepBeep said...

Hi marie louise, thanks for your comment! I don't know what possessed me to try my hand at Baklava - we also have a local baklava dealer and there's is drenched in heavenly syrup. It was much easier than i anticipated - although the "spring roll" effect was slightly odd..

Anonymous said...

hello peta,
thanks for a recipe which I can
understand, your photos are really
clear in easy to follow steps.
i recently purchased baklava
in lygon street.
This is my first blogger, so I will
keep comments short for now.
thanks again!
regards, joe.

Anonymous said...

Hi Peta,
Thank you so much! Such a good receipt for me. May I know which brand fillo pastry are good, because I tried to make it. Everything was good expect Pampas fillo pastry. That's why I really want to know which one is one. Thank you very much!
Regards, Dorothy